Although once a popular answer to wildlife problems, live- trapping and relocating wildlife is no longer considered a humane solution. Here are some reasons why trapping and relocating wildlife is not a solution.
- in Ontario, it is illegal to relocate wildlife more than one kilometre
- trapping and relocating adults may leave babies behind to die from starvation and dehydration
- relocated wildlife may not survive because of competition with native wildlife and the inability to find appropriate nesting places, food and water
- animals can suffer stress, injuries and even death trying to escape from traps
- baited traps can attract domestic pets or untargeted wildlife (skunks!)
- relocated wildlife can spread diseases and parasites to other areas
- removing animals will just create vacant territory for other wildlife to move in