The Rideau Valley Wildlife Sanctuary (RVWS) is the largest authorized wildlife rehabilitator of wild mammals and reptiles in the Ottawa area. RVWS cares for approximately 1,000 animals annually.
RVWS is looking for an experienced, enthusiastic leader to manage the wildlife rehabilitation centre. The role of the Wildlife Rehabilitation Manager includes managing staff and volunteers, wildlife rehabilitation operations, communications and outreach, and finances.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage human resources, including recruitment, training, supervision, evaluation and retention of all staff members, interns and volunteers.
- Manage and grow wildlife rehabilitation operations to ensure that patient welfare meets the highest standards
- Maintain a positive, healthy and safe work environment
- Manage facilities
- Work with the Executive Director and Board to develop strategic direction and plans to guide and grow the organization
Communications and outreach
- Manage client and public communications, and outreach programs
- Act as a spokesperson for the organization
- Manage communications, including website, newsletters, social media, and other donor and stewardship communications
- Manage public relations and media
- Network within the community to manage and increase partnerships, funding and awareness
- Develop operational goals and operating budgets
- Manage and approve expenditures within delegated budget
- Contribute to the development of fundraising sources, plans and proposals
- Participate in various fundraising activities including special events, grant writing and development of individual donor relationships.
The ideal candidate will have:
- At least three years’ experience in wildlife rehabilitation and human/wildlife conflict resolution
- At least three years’ proven supervisory/management experience in a related setting
- Bachelor’s degree, diploma, or other post-secondary education and combination of experience in wildlife rehabilitation equivalent to a registered veterinary technician
- Exceptional and proven interpersonal, problem-solving, organizational and leadership skills
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Strong presentation skills
- Strong computer skills, proficiency in Microsoft Office software
- Legally entitled to work in Canada
- Valid Ontario driver’s license with no record of major or repeated traffic offenses
- Able to lift a minimum of 50 pounds
Term and Compensation
This is a full-time, permanent position. Salary is commensurate with experience
To apply, email detailed cover letter, resume, availability, salary expectations and references by email to info @ rideauwildlife.org. We thank all applicants; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please no inquiries.